Thursday, January 22, 2015

Is Any Marriage Ever Really Equal?

As I have said, this is a newer concept for us.  But what is new is not really the idea that one person is more in control than another, but rather that there is an open acknowledgment of it.  I think that is the critical distinction that actually helped me wrap my mind around this when we first started discussing it.  It seemed like such a change. A huge shift in how I had always thought I wanted a marriage to be- one of total equality.  The reality though, is that I am not sure any relationship can really be like that.

In most households, one or the other person makes more money. That usually leads to that person having a (even if slightly) bigger say in how money is spent.  Or one parent may choose to stay home, which makes the house and children more of his or her domain.  There is also the more subtle forms of control in the sense of emotional responses to things.  Is a decision really equal when you use some form of influence to get what you think is best? Either acting passive aggressively or shouting louder or generally just finding a way to make your voice louder? Or that often you are thinking generally of what is best for your family anyway and so may sacrifice something you need or want to make the better choice in the long run.  In my experience, and certainly in my first marriage, this led to confusion.  Who was in charge of which part, whether I or he could get what we thought was best by screaming louder or acting in a way to force the other person to do what either of us thought was best anyway.

So while the concept of a FLR can seem revolutionary, alternative or controlling, I am just not convinced that it has to be.  I know there are various degrees (and which is true of any relationship), but it seems to me that openly acknowledging that one person has the ultimate decision making authority is actually much simpler than trying to make a decision on a case by case basis.  It also takes out the element of surprise for the other partner. The "hey, you did what I wanted but it did not turn out how I planned and now I blame you for not telling me we needed to do something different."  I lived with a lot of that before, as did my husband, and it is exhausting and destructive.  It certainly destroyed both of our first marriages and left us both wishing for more clarity or peace in a marriage.

Different individuals have made the point that being older or second marriages may be more susceptible to this type of relationship.  I do not disagree at all.  The time I was on my own and my default head of household provided the opportunity to realize that not only could I take care of myself and my family, but I was pretty good at it.  I managed to be a professional and a mother, as well as a sister, friend, aunt and still get the bills paid and the house in order.  It is not easy. And having a partner is much better to divide and identify which person's strengths are better suited for specific tasks.  It also was terrifying when I first got divorced. My ex always took care of everything so suddenly literally the act of paying a bill was something I had to do. I was overwhelmed and worried and then I just did it.  (Have to love auto pay).  But my point is that even if it is not a second marriage or even if there is trepidation in taking on more responsibility, it certainly is possible.  It may not be for all women or men, but there is some incredible benefit to just saying I can do this and for me, realizing I had done parts of this either in my previous marriage or relationships since by acting a certain way to get what I want, made this easier to conceptualize.  In reality, it is much easier to just be open and clear about my expectations or what I want.  And I expect my husband to be an active participant.  I will take ultimate responsibility for any decision, but he needs to be involved for the most part.

I will share our structure of decision making, which seems to be a hybrid of different methods. If anyone does the same thing or has their own experience on this he or she would like to share, please share!  We have three different levels of sorts. Things that I really do not feel strongly about (what we might have for dinner a particular night), I will ask his opinion and let him know I do not feel strongly.  The trick with this one is I actually have to make sure I do not care because I do not think it is fair to say, whatever you want. Oh, just kidding.  That (and which I am sure will be another blog post) is probably the hardest as a female in this--figuring out what you actually want because your man deserves clarity from you.  So then he can say what he wants to do or thinks and I will usually go with it.  On the middle level, I have a particular position but I ask his first and expect he will be honest with me. We discuss it and he is able to make his case or take whatever position he wants. I consider it and use it to make the decision I think is best.  In the third case, there is no discussion and it is just what I think is best.  I try to reserve the latter for specific issues that I know he may be clouded on or where there really isn't any other choice, but I think these different levels help him to feel active and a contributing member of our household but still be certain in my ultimate authority.

I am curious as to people who do it differently though. Are there men out there who would be confused by that and prefer just to be told what to do in all ways? Women who run this differently and find ways to have a contributing partner differently? If you want to share, please comment!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Rhiannon,

    Firstly a warm thank you for starting this blog. There are far too few womens voices on this topic. I hope you will be encouraged to continue and the discussion you invite us to engage in will blossom.

    I believe the notion of a truly equal marriage is a chimera and is destructive. It is better that the couple agree that one will have the final say in all things; clearly that person will only enjoy a long and happy marriage if they take into account the wishes and feelings of their partner. Having the 'final say' includes the freedom to say to your partner, "you make the decision this time".

    We've been gently embracing a female led marriage for a couple of years now. Like most, it was proposed by a male to the puzzlement of my lady. I'd been reading quite a bit on chastity and thought I'd like to explore that, quickly followed by reading Uniquely Rika and her approach to service based submission. A few months ago my Lady decided she'd had enough, it wasn't for her, but that she'd continue to be "Mistress" in play only. I had no interest in this being solely for play, for me obedience is a 24/7 thing. Fortunately a month later she decided that she would assume the lead, but 'only on her terms'. Of course, an FLR can only be on the woman's terms, so this proved to be a turning point.

    I am retired, she is not, so all the household duties are mine. Most times I have freedom on what I cook for supper, though she will tell me when she fancies something specific. Obviously I love (live) to please. In truth I have a lot of freedom, but all significant decisions are hers. She has all my income, giving me a small cash allowance each Monday morning. I have never been happier.

    There are times when I would love her to nurture my submission, for her to be 'more dominant', even to be open to others about our lifestyle. But I am thankful to live under the (benevolent) authority of the woman I'd die for.

    With all good wishes

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony. Thank you for your perspective. In trying to create the best path, I am certainly interested in the male submissive side of this and how different aspects of this impact men uniquely. I am hopeful this blog will really be a means of continuing the conversation on this topic and involving several different perspectives or situations.

      I am curious as to what you mean re wishing she would nurture your submission or more or to be more dominant. I am constantly trying to figure out if my balance is right, and I would be interested to hear what you wish was different (either more generalized or specific). If you are willing to share, I would certainly be interested in hearing.

      Thanks and welcome!

      Delete
    2. Hi Rhiannon,

      I suspect getting one's balance right is always a challenge because we change. I am surprised just how much I like being submissive to my Lady; I've never had those feelings before.

      It is easy to write a (true) comment like 'I wish she would nurture my submission' and less easy to be specific. I certainly would value a clear statement that she is in charge and that I will serve and obey her for the rest of my life. I'd like to be told that I am her submissive and that she owns me. I'd like her to subtly demonstrate that authority in public. In many ways those things are in place, I guess I have a nagging feeling that she is doing this to please me- I really want her to be doing this for her pleasure and because it is best for us. Maybe she is - as time passes, I suspect that is more likely. Perhaps there is always that doubt when a femdom dynamic is initiated/suggested by the man.

      Delete
    3. My Heart's Desire:

      Thank you for trying to tackle what I know to be a complicated answer to a seemingly simple sentiment. It is a similar struggle to what I feel, and while it seems so simple in concept, practice and reality are hard. I can define all of the things I want to do or think he needs, but giving them life is harder than I thought! I am hopeful working through these important issues on this blog, and with contributors like you and others, will really help to give more realistic voice to these somewhat amorphous concepts.

      Delete
  2. You should do what is best for the two of you but I think in most Femdom relationships, there is no discussion. She is in charge and he obeys. And his orgasms should be controlled and limited. If necessary, he can be put in a chastity belt to give the Femdom more control. But good luck on your journey. Hope you both enjoy it.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Florida Dom, thanks for contributing. I agree there is no discussion over who is in charge or the ultimate decision making. But do you think there should be no discussion at all, i.e., his opinion never asked?

      Delete
  3. Hi Rhiannon. Thanks for your recent comments on my blog. I wish you the best with yours. You are off to a great start. Have fun dipping your toes in the blogging world.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan,

      Thanks! I certainly hope you will consider contributing when your interest is sparked or you have an opinion to offer. From what I have read on your blog, I know you consider aspects of this from time to time and have some struggles or challenges in implementing it. I certainly would be interested in how that is evolving or your thoughts as things come up about why you consider it and/or reject it.

      Delete
  4. I'm kind of the wrong person to ask, because I call myself a free range submissive. I offered. My wife did not accept. That said, all relationships are unique. There's a book on pda called Sexual power for women by Georgeanne Cross. She has a number of limited contracts that were used to achieve personalized goals by women for their husbands. I'm sure that no man really wants to give up all power over everything. You are putting together a Dayquil that includes the things you need to have your way, steers away from some things your husband needs that in no way contradict yours, a d so.e stuff your man can do for you to remind both of you that his highest goal is to please you. In part lost it develop over time, but try to allow for many reminders that say that you are in charge.

    God bless you,

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Z. Thanks for your contributions. I do think there is a way to do this that still very much values the man's contribution and does not just create a complete power exchange. I try to find the balance between giving him the freedom to submit and not simply controlling him. It is, without question, the most important goal for me. I hope you will contribute in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhiannon,

    I love your description of the structure of your decision making. Wonderful. It follows the KISS principal (keep it simple stupid) which is always the best way to achieve success in any endeavor.

    Keep up the good work, and if it is ok with you, I'd like to be able to tout your blog on my blog. I believe letting everyone else know of this burgeoning FLM resource will be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the description, SubHub. I would love the reference or tout on your blog. Thanks for thinking of me...and I hope it was ok I posted yours to my sidewall! It was one of those that helped me in figuring out how to get a handle on all of this, and for that, I am endlessly grateful.

      Delete
  7. Hi Rhiannon,
    We are just beginning our journey with FLR and you are the FIRST one I have read and believe in! Thank you for that. This is all new to me, as I have always been the one submissive in past relationships (not by choice) so, this , I believe will be good for the both of us (we are just beginning our marriage).
    The problem I am finding when attempting to learn more about what my husband is in need of is that alot of women want to completely control their men....to the point of disrespecting them. I cannot do that. I love my husband and nothing but the highest respect for him. I would not want him to lose masculinity or self respect.
    I will be following your blog and hopefully learning alot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theresa (I assume?):

    I understand that sentiment completely. It takes time to find something that speaks to you, and I am so honored I am even in that category!

    I also understand the difficulty in trying to find a balance--between being in control and being controlling. It is immensely difficult. And I am a big believer in having an active and participating partner. To some pursits, it might mean I am not in control. But I disagree. To me, the ultimate requirement is participation and active contribution. There may be times I choose not to seek that, but I want a partner--not just a syncophant. I cannot speak to what works for anyone else (obviously), but for me it just was not something I can live with. I will say that it probably creates more of a struggle than others may have, as the balance is harder to strike. The no choice or all choice in certain ways is easier--it just is. I struggle with this daily, and I am hoping as I continue to blog about this, hear the endlessly fascinating perspectives of others, and meet new people who are experiencing this, that it will become more clear. I really hope you contribute and discuss these aspects as they develop for each of us.

    ReplyDelete