Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Complexity of Simplicity

I find, yet again, that it has been a significant period of time between posts.  It is partially my schedule and also being at times without certainty as to what to write.  Not being an expert in any of this or even doing it for that long, I sometimes worry my contribution is just a rehashing of the same thing or what someone else can more eloquently say.  But, this is also a community and contributing as well as reading the responses bring better understanding and exploration of this topic, so I am jumping back in.  More specifically, I am taking a simple step to address what sometimes feels overwhelming or without clear direction.  That, in fact, is the topic of the morning.  

In certain ways, a FLR is unequivocally simple.  The wife leads. The husband follows.  As I have previously blogged and seems to be a common theme for others too, is this mythical concept of balance that blurs that clean line.  Finding the place where the authority you assume is seamlessly executed, decisions made without question and conviction, and peace in the paths each has chosen. Sometimes it is like that.  

We recently had some periods of it just working effortlessly.  I had no second thoughts about my choices, he agreed without hesitation and I did not get bogged down in worrying about whether it was right, enough, too much or if this is really what he wants.  I just chose the path and went forward, expecting he follow, which he did.  When it is working like that, it is both simple and amazing.  I felt in charge of my own life, able to delegate tasks based on our relative strengths and secure in knowing he will listen and obey.  I believe it gives my husband freedom from decision fatigue, knowing he does not need to make the choices or face some arm chair quarterback about making the wrong choice, as well as clarity in expectations.  I also sense there is freedom in an absence of choice to some extent- he has no other choice so there is no real reason to fear or worry or consider the other options.     

But as life intervenes and the issues become more emotionally charged, or we get busy personally or professionally, it gets more difficult.  I perhaps do not act as consistently because I know he is busy so I give him a pass on things I had asked to be done, or I waver more in my decisions about certain issues because I fear the emotional charge associated with them.  While perfectly natural because neither of us are FLR bots, but actual human beings who are just trying to find a way to make sense of this all, it is a slippery slope.  I find myself feeling less in control, fretting more and being resentful about certain reactions not being what I expect.  The fault, however, lies with me. I have not been as clear about what I want, exercising the authority he has entrusted to me in a confident manner or even expressing my positions clearly.  I also get unsettled with particular emotional situations because I know he may disagree or feel some part is "unfair," and then I either cannot articulate what I expect, he lashes back with less emotional control because I have not been consistent in demanding it, and we end up unnecessarily fighting.   I have been struggling in trying to figure out how to get it back on track and find myself just spinning endlessly.  

Yesterday, however, I realized how to get back on track- make a simple decision. Stick to it and don't overagonize. Repeat. It also requires simple communication about what is expected, and consistency to follow up on it. This is an oversimplification to some extent, but the premise is essentially to cut out the crap of pretend equality (or trying to make sure each decision feels entirely fair, etc) or emotional quagmire that didn't work before and go back to basics. I do not mean to suggest his opinion is not important or that a decision should not be fair, but just that part of leading is owning the best choice at the time and not being paralyzed with indecision.  I lead. He follows.  I need to trust myself that I do not make rash or unfair choices (generally) and that he has asked for, and chosen, to follow.  That choice needs to be respected too.  And he has to follow. He may not always like my decision or bristle at a request, but that is what this is.  He cannot pick and choose when he wants to submit just like I can't pick and choose when I lead.  

So I am going to set out my expectations of the different things that I want/think are best, enforce them and lead us in a way that respects what we have chosen.  In this life, making a decision and executing it is probably the most critical piece.  So I will start with that simple step and see if it works through some of the complexity. 

14 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post. There is a point where you need to just forget about what he wants, and focus on what is important to you. Busy or not it is important for him to understand that you will hold him accountable for his actions, or for his failure to perform as you expect. It is not up to him to pick and chose which of your commands are to be obeyed. My thoughts, Love Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy. My biggest struggle is certainly trying to do just that! If you have any particular insight on how has worked best for you to do that, would love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are doing an awesome job to me. But don't second guess your self he is suppose to be the supportive one in your relationship and needs to remember that .All relationships have their bumps as life does sometimes gets in the way .My wife will ask my opinion on certain things but I know that her decision I the final word and I support her 100 percent. Just my two cents.I always enjoy you sharing with us. RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, RR. Balance is just sometimes a difficult path to navigate and having confidence in our choices/leadership

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhiannon for your honest and heartfelt thoughts. My wife and I have found that our FLM is not as easy as I had originally thought. It takes work. I do know that when I resist her decisions or talk back to her I undermine her authority and her confidence in herself. I need to become more disciplined in supporting and accepting her decisions without question and to keep my mouth shut. That has helped. I also know that she has found ways to discipline (or punish) me to become more sensitive to her authority over me. Over time we have grown in our respective roles and it has truly enhanced our marriage. TR

      Delete
  5. Leading is not easy and you question your lead. Is he happy am I doing this right. No he will not always agree with you. What he will do is follow and comply as he needs your leadership. It would appear you might need to lead more and display your leadership to him. I don't always agree with R but will always follow and do her bidding. Even in not agreeing I'm happy to follow and obey. And when I need correction I love it because she is taking the time to show more leadership by correcting me. And some times I'll receive spanking just because spanking me makes her happy and I want her happy. Lead more and worry less about your leadership.
    archedone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have confidence in your decisions. Make the best one with the info at hand but, be prepared to adapt as you see need. Confidence in the leader instills confidence in the follower. And like you said, follow through. Let him know what you expect and enforce your expectations. It is Female Led after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhiannon

    A lot of what you say sounds so familiar and I imagine that the doubts and high points would be shared by anyone who has recently embarked on a female led relationship.

    One of the great paradoxes that I have noticed about living an FLR is that the more effort and commitment that both leader and led devote to it, the more effortless and simple it can appear. Any relationship needs to be nurtured - we can't use the excuse that we're too busy or too tired as a pretext for not considering the wishes and needs of our loved one.

    So it is with an FLR, it seems to me, but more so. No-one is being forced down this path - we have all gone into it with our eyes open.Your idea of keeping things simple is an excellent one but at the same time, it is always your right to issue more complex demands, to change your mind and even, occasionally, to be wrong, in the full knowledge that you are in charge and that your partner will accept your authority without question. This is the base line.

    There are times when I feel disposed to argue with my wife, to challenge her or when I simply don't feel like following a instruction that seems illogical or unclear. Too bad for me. This is not some menu from which I can pick the item that pleases me. In submitting to my wife's authority, I have accepted that I am her inferior and that it is her right not to be always 100% clear or precise about every aspect of what she wants. My job is not only to obey her unquestioningly, but to interpret her wishes as best I can, supporting her in every decision that she makes, whatever my own opinion may be. If I don't, I know that there will be consequences.

    It's not that my wife doesn't understand the human urge to rebel occasionally - she just doesn't tolerate it. She also knows me well enough to detect the signs before they can cause problems. This is why she proactively follows a programme of maintenance discipline with me and insists that when we are alone at home, I must regularly kneel quietly at her feet while she either reads or simply uses me as her foot-stool. It is all about reinforcement of our places in the pecking order.

    The desire to rebel stil rears its head but much less regularly than it ever has. I think, Rhiannon, that if you were to ask my wife, she would tell you that as long as you are consistent and fair, both in your decisions and in how you enforce them, you do not need to agonise about them. It is for your partner to obey them, however simple or complex the terms in which you couch them.

    Love your blog and wish you every success with it and your growing leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate the vote of confidence. In exploring the difficulties of this, it is not my intent to suggest my husband is not doing what he needs to or even that I am either, but rather to be honest in discussing these topics so people who are looking for their own answers or facing struggles realize this is all part of it.

    I look forward to you all continuing to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that what you are experiencing is something that just about every successful femdom relationship goes through. To me it boils down to a lack of total confidence on your part and a lack of training on his. Even the most devoted man will fall back on what he knows and feels comfortable with without training. Your part is the hardest, this type of confidence does not come easy to most women. But it is something you must have, he expects it, looks for it, needs it and will respond to it.
    Don't think you have to be in full femdom mode for this lifestyle to prosper. There are rules you can put in place that will keep you both aware of the femdom side of your relationship. A way of keeping the femdom "feel" while you go about life's obligations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sandra! It is nice to know that this is "normal"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found this blog and I really enjoy and respect what I'm reading. As a submissive husband, I know there are times when my wife is feeling uncertain, less confident, overwhelmed or what have you. The vast majority of the time, I know what she wants and I do it. I think even she would say I've become good at reading her every wordless glance. Having said that, I know there are some things she hasn't worked out or is unsure of. The are also some aspects of our lives that I happen to have more knowledge of and in some cases more life experience (I'm more than a decade older than she is). If she's uncertain she'll ask me to sit down and she'll start talking. If she has questions I answer her promptly. Then, when we're done, she almost always asks one last question: "Is there anything else about any of this that I need to be aware of?" I'll tell her everything I can think of. If she's gotten what she needs and I'm just repeating myself, she'll say, "Ok, got it babe" and she'll up from the table. I find out what her decision is when she implements it herself, or when I get a note or text message telling me to do so. I rarely worry about her decisions. She controls our finances and we're in the black, which was seldom true of me when I was single.

      Sure, I'd be blind if I didn't realize her confidence falters sometimes, but why wouldn't it? She's human like all of us. Actually, it makes me love her all the more. It makes me feel like I can really benefit her with whatever knowledge or experience I happen to have. Most of the time she really thrives on being in control, and when she doesn't, I try to do what I can to make things easier for her.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for contributing, David. I hope you will continue to share your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also really nice to hear that you embrace her occasional falter in confidence too. It is really key to be able to appropriately support her in different ways- active submission so to speak. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

      Delete